Many of us spend our whole life trying to be different..
The unfortunate statistical reality is that 80% of people are dealing with lower back pain of some kind.. ranging from an acute 1x issue to a reoccurring chronic issue...
Either way.. you are not alone.
I was talking with a buddy of mine, Kevin... and he asked if I could help him with is back pain... So here goes!
In working with the Yankees, every Spring Training we would do a full, total body, comprehensive measurement of all the bodies joints.. and when it came to those suffering from back pain.. it was interesting what was seen..
When we measured the hip range of motion of those suffering back pain, or those who have had previous issues of back pain, we saw that their hip range of motion (internal rotation and external rotation) was under 40 degrees.
The internal was especially important.. because those who had less than 20 degrees were are very high risk for debilitating back pain..
The worst case scenario was when 1-side was under 20 degrees, and the other opposing side was of normal range of motion.. This shows a major asymmetry.
This situation, along with a forward leaning posture of only 5-10 degrees could wreak havoc on your discs and spine..
SO lets summarize the reasons you have back pain... then I will give you some ways to get rid of it!
1. Hip Range of Motion is Less Than Optimal at less than 40*
2. Hip Range of Motion less than 20* and in one hip and not the other is a big issue.
3. Forward Leaning Torso/ Old Man Posture puts extra stress on discs and changes spinal curvature.
4. Poor Tissue Quality- A lifetime of work and no massages can lead to tissue that is filled with knots and trigger points- pressing and compressing nerves..
5. Extra 5-10lbs of Body Weight
So outside of an acute injury... these are very common causes of the pain itself..
Now how do we fix it?
1. We need to get range of motion back in our hips, internally and externally
2. Stretch Hamstrings & Glutes
3. Massage of our Quads, Glutes
4. Release our Psoas Muscle and Hip Flexors
5. Take Hot Baths with Epson Salt Soaks
6. Re-establish Squat Range of Motion
7. Strengthen the Core with Blanks and Glute Bridges
8. Re-establish Torso Rotation
9.Get the Glutes Stronger
10. Improve our Posture by Staying TALL through our abdominal muscles..
This-- along with keeping your overall mental stress down, as spoken by Dr. John Sarno .. is essential..
Once you have back pain.. even when it leaves.. you must train for its prevention..
Below are some videos you can implement to start ridding yourself of the pain..